The Gates are a little known esoteric Auric ability dealing with aspects of the mind, body, and soul that while used mainly for the attainment of enlightenment, have offensive uses as well.
- First Gate: Activated by the release of the first two chakras, it leads to a general increase of power and strength, mobility and speed, a sharper mind, and stronger attacks with occasional manifestations. It can manifest in the form of a pair of limb constructs, but other forms are known.
- Second Gate: Activated by the release of the first four chakras. At this point more advanced moves generally limited to Pokémon can be harnessed by humans, though they might find themselves losing control of their powers. It can manifest in the form of even more appendages, but this isn't required.
- Third Gate: Activated by the release of six chakras. Even the incredibly disciplined usually lose control of themselves. At this point things such as advanced reflective barriers, variations of more elemental attacks, mass mind control, and long distance teleportation are possible for humans. Mons capable of Mega Evolution can enter it here without the use of items such as a Mega Stone combined with a Key Stone, Awakening Emera, Awakening Seeds, and the like.
- Fourth Gate: The final gate, and the most absolutely devastating. Caused by activating all seven chakras, just entering this form can cause collateral damage to the user's immediate surroundings. In humans, this allows them to perform great feats only thought possible by very powerful Pokémon – such as devastating forms of Hyper Beam and Giga Impact, or slight forms of reality warping. In Pokémon it’s been known to put their natural power levels on the platform of some minor legendaries. Seldom few have achieved this state due to how dangerous it is on top of its enlightenment requirement, and it tends to kill its users soon after activation via getting ripped apart by their own power.
Each of the Gated Forms is meant to correspond to one of the Four Noble Truths. In order, the Noble Truth of Suffering, the Noble Truth of the Origin of Suffering, the Noble Truth of the Cessation of Suffering, and the Noble Truth of the Freedom from Suffering.
Known Gated Form Activation Methods
The Spiritual Gates are what people normally think of when thinking of the Gates. They deal in the Prime Chakras that run down the spine.
- Muladhara: Located at the pelvis, it deals with survival and is blocked by fear.
- Swadhisthana: Located at the tailbone, it deals with pleasure and is blocked by guilt. Activating this chakra in tandem with the first allows an Auric to access the First Gate.
- Manipura: Located at the navel, it deals with willpower and is blocked by shame.
- Anahata: Located at the heart, it deals with love and is blocked by grief. Activating this chakra in tandem with the first three allows an Auric to access the Second Gate.
- Vishuddha: Located at the throat, it deals with truth, and is blocked by lies.
- Ajna: Also known as the third eye and located at the forehead, it deals with insight, and is blocked by illusion. Activating this chakra in tandem with the first five allows an Auric to access the Third Gate.
- Sahasrara: Also known as the crown, and located at the top of the head, it deals with cosmic energy and is blocked by earthly attachment. This is considered the single hardest chakra to activate. Activating this chakra in tandem with all six others allows an Auric to access the Fourth Gate.
The Negative Gates are a system of Gates that, instead of drawing upon the Prime Chakras that run up the spine like the Spiritual Gates, draw their power from the dual minor Chakras that run down the leg below Muladhara. They represent base instincts, and correspond to the realms of Pātāla:
- Atala, located at the hip, governs fear and lust.
- Vitala, at the thigh, governs anger and resentment.
- Sutala, at the knees, governs jealousy.
- Talātala, at the calves, represents a state of prolonged confusion and instinctive willfulness.
- Mahātala, located at the ankle, is the centre of selfishness and pure animal nature.
- Rasātala, located at the feet, is a dark place without conscience, and inner blindness.
- Pātāla, on the sole of the foot, is a most insidious chakra, that handles malice, murder, torture and hatred.
While they do not require spiritual enlightenment to activate like the Spiritual Gates, instead requiring simply brute forcing the minor Chakras of the lower body, they are weaker and also twice as damaging to the mind, body, and soul, often permanently staining a user's Aura with prolonged use. Due to overuse of the Gates, Constantin is incapable of using the Spiritual Gates and must instead rely on the Negative Gates.
Due to their nature, they are considered even more esoteric than the Spiritual Gates, and those who know of them tend not to mention them even in passing.
As mentioned above, prolonged usage of the Gates can shorten a person's lifespan, and usage of the Fourth Gate is almost always lethal.
Known Users of the Gates
- The Gates are partially based on the chakras of Hinduism and Buddhism, as well as their interpretation in Avatar: The Last Airbender.